This is not a new years resolution. This is some sort of new attitude that I am trying to force into my life. Think about it... if you treat everybody the way you want to be treated and everybody started treating everybody that way. Peace on Earth? I know, I sound all bubbly and maybe silly. This concept of treating others the way I want to be treated is actually harder than I thought it would be. I am struggling with it. I am naturally a confrontational person. I want people to just tell me things to my face instead of behind my back. But at the same time I wear my heart and my feelings on my shoulders and I get my feelings hurt very easily. Not a good combination, I know. So treating others the way I want to be treated is actually a lot harder than it sounds. It means that I can't react to things the way I usually do and I have to learn to forgive & forget a lot quicker than I usually do. I am one of those people that say I forgive and bury my feelings away until the next time that someone hurts my feelings again then I pull it all out again. I am going to have to stop doing that. The hardest part for me in all this is that just because you start treating people with the respect and kindness that you want back in return does not mean you are going to get it back in return. This is where I struggle. I struggle bad with this. Because I have started trying my hardest to think before I act or react to something... then I think, but they aren't going to care and it won't make them treat me the way they want to be treated. So I thought about this and how wrong I am to think that way. We are taught in the Bible to turn the other cheek. That is hard to do, but I am hoping to adopt all these things into the way I act towards others. Why? you might be asking. I am teaching my kids that they need to treat others the way they want to be treated. A little boy took a toy from Emma. There were tears and she started going towards the little boy to grab it back. I stopped her and explained that since she didn't like the way that little boy grabbed the toy then she needs to lead by example (I said it in toddler language) by going over and asking for it back nicely. She did and the other child's parent made him give it back. But who am I to not lead by example for my children? How can I expect my children to act a certain way if they don't see their parents doing it also? So I have decided that I can't ask my kids to do this without putting it into my life first.
Treat Others the Way YOU Want To Be Treated.
It is harder than it sounds, maybe harder for some people than others :)
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment