Saturday, May 2, 2009

Potty training questions::: Calling all moms!

Does anybody have a suggestion of a good book on potty training for Adam & I to read up on? We approached potty training today starting at 10am and we have already decided that we need to stop, regroup, and educate ourselves on the subject a little more before we try again and it is only 1 in the afternoon...
We stripped her down to nothing and sat her on the potty after breakfast reading every single book we own and she did it- she peed in the potty! Mommy was so excited, I sang a song, showed her what she did while mentioning how proud I was, then gave her 2 M&Ms for success... and she cried while all that happened. Then she peed in the floor (we were following her around like crazy but didn't realize what she was doing until she had already started) told her very calmly that we do that in the potty and she starts screaming and begging for a diaper. Took her and put her on the potty and now she is acting like she is scared of the potty..............................................
UGH, so please give me any advice you have and suggestions for a book to read??? I thought she was ready but I don't want to force it and make her scared of the potty, help please =)

4 comments:

agus said...

this looks helpful

http://www.pottytrainingsite.com/

Bethany Patton said...

I dont have any literature help. And every child is different, but what worked for Allie was "Elmo Potty Time" DVD. We also had a "Potty time" book with a button she could push on their that made the sound of a flushing toilet (I know, crazy). We just sat up her little potty next to ours and when she showed interest, we explained the potty situation and eventually (in her own time (22mo. for her)), she started wanting to give it a try. When she did, we didnt look back, pursued it and she was in panites in no time. I heard the 3 day potty train technique really works if you stick with it. Might want to give it a shot.

The Roap Family said...

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. We bought 'babywise' to read for Eli & 'pottywise' to read for Emma. I will report back in a couple of weeks on our progress. I will probably be buying the Elmo Pottytime DVD cause I have heard a lot about that one too. Thanks again for the suggestions and more are always welcome.

Aubrey said...

Let me know how it goes. We need to start working with E. T & SG were self starters pretty much, so this is scary territory! Happy potty-ing!