Monday, November 17, 2008

Round Ligament Pain

Today was a very bad bad day for us. At around 10:30 this morning I had just gotten done cleaning up after feeding Emma breakfast and I started having the worst pain in my stomach imaginable. I knew what it was because this had happened on October 30 and Adam rushed me to the doctor's office cause for all we knew I was in labor and we were having a very premature baby, but it turns out that it is Round Ligament Pain. It is so painful and feels like labor pains or what I can remember of them.

From Web MD: Round ligament pain is due to normal changes that take place as your body is transformed by pregnancy. Thick ligaments, one of which is called the round ligament, hold your uterus in suspension within your abdomen. As the uterus grows in size and weight, these ligaments become very long and thin, stressing and tensing like rubber bands. The ligaments pull and tug on nearby nerve fibers and sensitive structures, causing pain. The severity of pain can worry you. Although round ligament pain is uncomfortable, it is also very normal.
http://www.webmd.com/baby/pregnancy-round-ligament-pain

So, my poor baby girl was only half way dressed when this started (and it doesn't build up to bad pain, it just comes on and is really severe) and I couldn't do anything but hold my belly. The doctor had given me some strong pain meds from when it happened the last time so I managed to take one of those. I have a baby gate on Emma's door so I put her in her room with Elmo on (she loves "moe") and went to lay down with the heating pad on my belly. My mom was up visiting Nico today so I called Adam and he came home from work at 11:30 to help me and take care of Emma. I have the best husband in the world. You know when someone sees you at your worst and helps you through it that they are the one and that is true love. We called the doctor and they told me to just call them back if it didn't stop or got worse (which I can't even imagine the pain if it had been worse). It was a long afternoon, the pain lasted for 2 1/2 hours. It finally helped when Adam got me to get in a hot bath and put the jets on. Baby Eli is just fine though, through the whole thing he was just rolling around which I think made it worse when he did that, but he was fine. If everyone that reads this can please pray that this doesn't keep happening because it is horrible we would really appreciate it!!!

No comments: