Thursday, December 4, 2008

Family Update

*Caution: if you have a weak stomach about bodily functions you might not want to read this*

Oh my... it has been a very crazy 24 hours...
Yesterday morning Emma woke up with a nasty barky cough that sounded horrible. She woke up from her nap with a runny nose and a fever of 99.9 and from there it went bad to worse. We put her to bed at 9, like usual and she kept crying on and off and at about 10:30 she got really upset so I told Adam he could go get her and let her sleep with us since she didn't feel good. When he brought her into our bedroom she was wheezing and was having a really hard time breathing (this is the scariest thing I have experienced in my adult life). She was crying in between wheezes cause she was scared too so I call the doctor very paniced and while I was on the phone with her Emma threw up and it was 99% drainage. The doctor told me to sit with her in a steam shower and if that didn't help we needed to go to the ER. So I took doctors orders and put her in a steam shower, she threw up more drainage twice while I was in there with her. After about 20 minutes in the steam shower I took her into our bedroom and she was still coughing but not wheezing or throwing up anymore. We all finally got to sleep around 12:30. I woke up and called the Dr's office this morning at 8 and got her a 9:30 appointment with our new pediatrician. (We switched pediatricians last week, Thank God, because I do not think our last doctor would have given as good of care as our new doctor that we met today for the first time) We went in and saw her, she spent 30 minutes with us looking and talking about Emma- she is an amazing doctor. Emma has what the doctor called the croupe: ear infection, swollen throat (that caused her to wheeze), barky cough, and fever. She perscribed Emma an antibiotic and a steroid so she should be 100% before Monday. So we are on our way to a full recovery =) After her 3 1/2 hour nap today she was a happy baby!

I also had a baby dr appt and it went very well. Eli's heartbeat was 152 and my blood pressure is down to normal (yay!)! Let's just hope things stay that way.

We hope everybody has a great weekend and stay healthy and away from all the sickness =)

1 comment:

Helen said...

That is AWFUL, but I'm glad she feels better now. I've been fighting something off myself...YUCK!