Friday, September 25, 2009

Dreaded Milestone

It Happened today. Just now, about 20 minutes ago. One of the milestones that children cross that we as parents worry about, and dread happening.
It is Friday, so Emma had no MMO today. We have had a great morning with 2 happy babies. I was putting Eli down for his morning nap (like usual). While I was doing that Emma was up on my bed watching Curious George. I came out and was taking her to the potty and Eli started crying again. So I went in and rocked him back to sleep then came back out to finish up with Emma and her business. Eli started crying again. Emma is always tired on Fridays from her week at school so she always goes down for a nap early on Fridays. So I rushed and put a Pull Up on her, did the usual song and dance nap routine with her, put her in her crib, then shut the door and hurried over to Eli's room. I took my time in Eli's room and finally got him to sleep. Yes. Peace. I walked out of Eli's room and heard Emma screaming bloody murder at the top of her lungs. (I think she had been doing this while I was in Eli's room but I couldn't hear her because of Eli's noise maker) I rushed into Emma's room to see what was the matter, swinging the door wide open only to find that she was standing behind the door and now she had been knocked down onto the floor by the swinging door. It took me a minute to realize what happened. When I left her room she was in the crib and now I have come back into her room and she is crying, screaming on the floor. It happened, Emma climbed out of her crib. I turned the light on, scooped her up, put her on the changing table and did a body/limb check to make sure nothing was broken or missing. I asked her what hurt and she pointed to her head. Since she was screaming before the door hit her I am guessing she bumped her head when she climbed/fell out of the crib. She was pitiful. Crying so hard she wasn't breathing. I turned the light off and rocked her for a while sitting there thinking 'I can't believe that just happened.' I felt horrible about swinging the door open with her in the path after such a traumatic event. After she calmed down I explained to her that she has to stay in her crib until Mommy or Daddy gets her out or she will get hurt like that. I am hoping that scared her enough not to do it again but we will see. The first thing I did after I put her back down is call Adam. He said we will see if she tries it again and if she does we will be going to the toddler bed. We were hoping to wait on that til towards Christmas time and get her a big girl bed and bedding for Christmas. I was kind of hoping that my kid would just skip that milestone, I am not that lucky =)



Another note about today: 20 years ago from today I was adopted into my wonderful family. So Happy Birthday to our family!

1 comment:

Helen said...

AW! Poor baby and poor Sarah! I'm learning all kinds of things about having little ones through you...

And thank God for your family! Happy Day! :D